Remove this ad

Rantam

Site Admin

Lead

Aug 20 08 10:00 AM

Tags : :

If you installed correctly the ISI tools and the GMT importer (or my plugins pack) then:

- Be sure Max is working in meters. Go to "Customize" menu -> "Units setup". Then click "System unit setup" button. In the next screen be sure 1 unit = 1 meter

- Extract the content of the .mas file containing the 3D files (.gmt) as well as the textures of the model to a folder, using the gMotor MAS extractor included on ISI's public tools or Virtua_LM's MAX explorer.

- Many mods have a .mas file which contains a lot of textures used in every car (for example emaps), to save disk space instead of replicating these textures in every car. If the model you're importing uses some of these textures contained in a common .mas files search that .mas file and uncompress the content inside the one where you uncompressed the car's .mas file.

- Open 3DMax

- Go to the "Utilities" tab (is the last tab of the stack located in the right side of the screen)

- Click 'MAX Script' button (if it's not available you can add it with the little button you can see on the right) More options will appear.

- In the list of installed plugins ("Utilities") select 'GMT2 importer'.

- I suggest to disable the check box "Ask for missing textures". Anyway you could get some error informing that some texture is missing (mostly emaps), but don't worry, just click "accept" if some of these appear.

- Now is time to select the GMT you want to import. Click the "Import single file" button. Keep in mind that depending on the complexity of the object, the number of materials, etc. the importing process could take quite a while, so be patient. During this process Max will look like if it has stopped working, but don't worry. Eventually it'll finish

- The model should be imported without further problems

NOTE: It's important to say that you have to increase the memory used for max when you import. If you don't do that you hardly can import complex models with textures, etc.

To do that go to "Customize" menu, "MAXScript" tab, and increase the initial heap allocation value. I have set 25,5MB and I can import almost everything without memory problems.

If you need further help just ask ;)
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jul 19 11 10:45 AM

Rantam wrote:
If you're running Max 2010 (or higher) you may get a Maxcript error when importing if you're using the Material Editor on slate mode.

To avoid this problem open the Material Editor before importing and change it to Compact Mode.

Kindest regards
Hola Rantam, estoy intentando importar un coche con 3ds max 2010, y se me cuelga cuando va leyendo las texturas, veo que dices que hay que cambiar a modo compacto en el editor, pero es que no veo donde activar el modo compacto

Rantam Hello, I am trying to import a car with 3ds max 2010, and I hang up when you read the textures, I see you say you have to switch to compact mode in the editor, but I do not see where they activate the compact

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#3 [url]

Jul 19 11 12:07 PM

Please, write in english, otherwise the rest of people will not understand

If Max crashes when you're importing it could be many things., but as you suggest it could be the Slate mode of the Material editor:

-Start up Max
-Don't try to import anything yet.
-Open the material window (click that "globe" on the tool bar)
-Go to "Modes" menu
-Enable "Compact material editor"

Try to import again to see if it works now.

I guess you followed the instructions i post in the first post of this thread, but if you didn't remember to put all the textures of the .gmt in the same folder of that file before importing. Increase also the initial heap allocation value as explained above.

Regards

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#9 [url]

Jul 20 11 8:11 AM

Then you're fine. The materials editor's is not your problem. If it crashes when importing then the cause is other.

Check you installed the importing tools properly (i suggest you to use the plugin pack available at this forum), and that you've followed the instructions explained above properly. Without more information I'm afraid I'm not able to know what the problem is.

Regards

Quote    Reply   

gonzas

#10 [url]

Jul 20 11 9:58 AM

Try to set all materials of the object to T1 with 3DSimed or another tool and then try to import again with max

you can't touch neither my wife nor my .gmts

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Rantam

#11 [url]

Jul 20 11 11:12 AM

Well, i've never needed to do such thing when importing. As long as you put the .gmt and the textures (including emaps, etc) in the same folder when importing you should be able to import. But Gonzas' trick may work for you, don't know..

A screenie with the error you get when importing would certainly help, in any case

Regards

Quote    Reply   

gonzas

#12 [url]

Jul 20 11 11:28 AM

I had crashes a couple of times importing gmt files and that was the only way i found to solve it

you can't touch neither my wife nor my .gmts

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#20 [url]

Nov 13 12 7:28 PM

Well, just to avoid confusions, yes, you can use Max explorer to extract car's objects.

3DSimEd allows you to do it too, but it allows you also to open the 3D model. Max explorer is just a tool to compress/decompress rF compressed files.

Regards

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help