Tags : :
- Be sure Max is working in meters. Go to "Customize" menu -> "Units setup". Then click "System unit setup" button. In the next screen be sure 1 unit = 1 meter
- Extract the content of the .mas file containing the 3D files (.gmt) as well as the textures of the model to a folder, using the gMotor MAS extractor included on ISI's public tools or Virtua_LM's MAX explorer.
- Many mods have a .mas file which contains a lot of textures used in every car (for example emaps), to save disk space instead of replicating these textures in every car. If the model you're importing uses some of these textures contained in a common .mas files search that .mas file and uncompress the content inside the one where you uncompressed the car's .mas file.
- Open 3DMax
- Go to the "Utilities" tab (is the last tab of the stack located in the right side of the screen)
- Click 'MAX Script' button (if it's not available you can add it with the little button you can see on the right) More options will appear.
- In the list of installed plugins ("Utilities") select 'GMT2 importer'.
- I suggest to disable the check box "Ask for missing textures". Anyway you could get some error informing that some texture is missing (mostly emaps), but don't worry, just click "accept" if some of these appear.
- Now is time to select the GMT you want to import. Click the "Import single file" button. Keep in mind that depending on the complexity of the object, the number of materials, etc. the importing process could take quite a while, so be patient. During this process Max will look like if it has stopped working, but don't worry. Eventually it'll finish
- The model should be imported without further problems
NOTE: It's important to say that you have to increase the memory used for max when you import. If you don't do that you hardly can import complex models with textures, etc.
To do that go to "Customize" menu, "MAXScript" tab, and increase the initial heap allocation value. I have set 25,5MB and I can import almost everything without memory problems.
If you need further help just ask ;)