Remove this ad

Rantam

Site Admin

Lead

Nov 5 11 12:16 PM

Tags : :

For the moment we don't know a lot, but we may know already enough to start discussing about it:

http://www.virtualr.net/rfactor-2-pricing-open-beta-info-announced

The most controversial part is probably having to pay a yearly fee. As you know if you don't renew it all multiplayer options of the game are disabled.

What do you think?

We're already discussing it also at our Facebook page and at VirtualR

Regards

Do you like the proposed rF2 business model? (Result)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Nov 7 11 10:04 PM

I don't like not being able to own what you buy, but I understand the reasons for doing that. It's sad that pirates benefit and we legitimate users pay and suffer all thoseaditional problems, but such is life. Unless someone can come up with a better solution we will be more and more heading towards the horrible and dreaded "cloud computing". Companies are in their right to protect their assets, and we as customer in our right not to buy them. Recently, UBISOFT suffered an epic failiure with Silent Hunter 5 -which required permanent internet connection to play the game- and was forced to make it more usable and eliminate that requirement, yet sales were destroyed and the franquise is now sadly dead for the future. !!

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#2 [url]

Nov 8 11 8:59 AM

Well, I indeed understand also concerns about piracy. I have never understood how on Earth can anybody feel proud of himself of using a cracked version of rFactor. It's not a expensive game AT ALL, and you only had to pay for it once in a lifetime. For gosh sake..

ISI has stated that this is how rF2 is going to be, take it or not, that's up to us. I respect such decision also, and no matter how i like or dislike some aspects of it I think they're doing it for their best, I mean, they're following their instincts. Independence of choice is something not every development teams have today, so i give them credit for that.

About rF2 itself we'll see once it's finally available for us. For me it's clear: I'll get it as soon as it's available. I don't have a problem about the yearly fee or whatever, i think it's cheap enough. That from the player point of view.

From the modding point of view we'll see. There're some downsides for the modder with the chosen business model, but until it's not released I won't be able to have a proper opinion of rF2.

Regards

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 23 12 6:12 AM

Biz model

Personally, I never resent a company trying to make a reasonable profit.

What I really dislike about rF2 is the mod system. Already with barely 4 cars and maybe 6 tracks on a good day I had to install number of mods just to race cars already in game on tracks that likewise either shipped with it or were added later but not to the specific mod we wanted to race. It's a mess and it will get more atrocious as it evolves.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 23 12 6:27 AM

i have no issue with the payment schedule... but to make you pay for a beta is absurd. thats free feedback and bug checking... and now we have to pay to help them out? i just dont get it.

[URL=http://historicgt.8.forumer.com]image[/URL]

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#6 [url]

Apr 23 12 8:00 AM

@arfc we're already working on it, but rF2 is on beta stage and there're a lot of issues to be addressed by ISI, so don't expect HistorX 2.0 anytime soon.

@cconti Gjon already said they're changing the mod system (check ISI official forums), despite he didn't say anything about the extension of the change.

Regards

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 28 12 12:38 PM

I don't have an issue with their pricing in the long run, but them requiring pre-order to test caused me to vote negative. Testing isn't a product you sell, it's a service you ask for. It's crazy that this is becoming a trend.

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#8 [url]

Jun 29 12 1:23 PM

That is up the developer, and I don't really consider it a bad idea.

In this case ISI is giving to all those who purchased the beta additional months of online activation once the game is officially released (I think they extended it to 12 or 18 months -can't recall now- as the beta phase is going to be over 6 months).

Regards

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

Jul 27 12 1:53 AM

And this beta was called a "modders beta", for modders to work with something before the release.

I'm ok with the pricing method, been running rFactor for almost 4 years so the price is not a concern.

Quote    Reply   

tigeraid

#10 [url]

Aug 17 12 7:01 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but I haven't bothered with the Beta. We're so busy at efnetsimracing, especially with the new HGT, that we're in no hurry to deal with rf2 at this point.

But sometime next year when it comes out, why not? My question is how the game is with mods... When it was first talked about, the rumour was that it would be backwards compatible, but since the beta has come out I've heard nothing about that. Will it be? Can it be?

Is it going to require a payment service to use online play? And if so, can you bypass the paid "lobby" and connect with IP?

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#11 [url]

Aug 18 12 1:58 AM

Well I'm afraid it's not really "backwards compatible". That means that you can't simply install and rF1 car/track in rF2 and it will work. It's far from that.

The original modder will have to reexport the object/s to use the new shaders, to change the configuration files (physics, veh, etc) to use the new stuff necessary to run in rF2 and packing it using the new packing system. That would allow you (at least) to use the car/track ingame. But reality is not that easy. Talking about cars: just having a totally new tire model means that the physics will need to be redone.

About payment service to play online: yes, you must pay a yearly fee or get a lifetime license.

No, as far as I know you can't bypass the lobby.

But better go to ISI forums and check the official info there

Regards

Quote    Reply   

tigeraid

#12 [url]

Aug 18 12 11:01 AM

See and this becomes a concern to league promoters like me, who would have to convince 40 people next year to drop money on the game AND the subscription to keep racing. More reasons to stick with rf1 for now....

Thanks.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 5 13 5:59 PM

9132971 wrote:
I don't like not being able to own what you buy, but I understand the reasons for doing that. It's sad that pirates benefit and we legitimate users pay and suffer all thoseaditional problems, but such is life. Unless someone can come up with a better solution we will be more and more heading towards the horrible and dreaded "cloud computing". Companies are in their right to protect their assets, and we as customer in our right not to buy them. Recently, UBISOFT suffered an epic failiure with Silent Hunter 5 -which required permanent internet connection to play the game- and was forced to make it more usable and eliminate that requirement, yet sales were destroyed and the franquise is now sadly dead for the future. !!

+1

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 16 17 5:07 PM

I hop you guys have motr timr to bring this amazing mod to rfactor 2.
After 397 studio removed yearly fee , there will be too much fun for us to see your amazing mod with benefits of rfactor 2.
Please make this dream come true guys.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help