Remove this ad

Lead

May 8 13 11:41 PM

Tags : :

How I Installed Historic GT from preexisting DVD install of rFactor 1.255 in Windows 8

DVD version rFactor 1.255 (does not have or require Activation Code) installed to default
  C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor

1. DVD version rFactor 1.255
2. DVD version of GT Legends
3. Part 1 and 2 of Historic GT  1.90 install files
 HistoricGTv19_Part1.exe
 HistoricGTv19_Part2.exe
4. Historic GT 1.95 Patch install file
 HistoricGT_v19_to_v195_patch.exe
5. Historic GT 1255 Lite install file
 rFactorSetup1255c_Lite.exe
6. For my own use - a NoDvd rFactor 1.255 executable file (so I can run the program w/o DVD)
 rFactor.exe

 Step by step install instructions

Note: This may sound weird, but I used bits from both Historic GT installation instructions
“Standalone installation method” and “rFactor mod installation method”
 from the pdf Historic GT manual (HGTTC_1.95_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf).

* Change Compatibility settings for all required install files to Windows 7 and run as administrator.

* Place both Part 1 and 2 of Historic GT  1.90 install files in the same directory
 (in my case C:\Temp\ HistoricGTv19)         

* Install rFactor lite to C: root
This was done to have a reference on what files were needed in the upcoming Historic GT install.
It doesn’t matter under what dir name just so it is not same as existing install.

* Install another full install from retail DVD on rFactor  Ver. 1.255 in a separate directory from preexisting fFactor retail install.

In my case to C:\Program Files\rFactor
This is where I will install the Historic GT mod.
This was done so that I wouldn’t run into problems that arose when I tried installing Historic GT to a demo version of rFactor and then to a Lite version of rFactor both of which request Activation Code which does not come with or required with the DVD version of rFactor 1.255.

* Remove unwanted files from the new full retail rFactor install in C:\Program Files\rFactor.
Compare all directories/files of the new full rFactor retail(C:\Program Files\rFactor) install to the rFactor Lite install.
Remove all files from new full retail rFactor install that aren’t in
the rFactor Lite install(C:\rFactor).

* Place GT Legends install disk in DVD tray

*  Install Historic GT using the “rFactor mod installation method”
 to the new rFactor Full retail Ver. 1.255 that you installed in C:\Program Files\rFactor
per instructions in the HGTTC_1.95_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf
Page 12 under “If you didn’t had v1.0 of the mod installed”, since ours is Ver. 1.255.

* Followup the installation using the post install instructions for “Standalone installation method”.

Follow Steps 5 – 11 of the instructions for the “Standalone installation method” instructions on page 11 of HGTTC_1.95_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf. Screenprint of instructions(only do steps 5 – 11).

* Run the game for 1st time from the new short cut in the Start Menu either from Windows 8 metro or Windows 7 style Desktop.

 The first time I started the Historic GT version I chose the Historic GT cars from the very short list of choices.

Then a Historic GT pop up box instructed me to restart the game.

I restarted the game and from then on you should have 2 good full installs of the DVD 1.255 version of rFactor,
one the original you had before in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor
and
the new one in C:\Program Files\rFactor
which has all Historic GT vehicles, etc.
and points to all the tracks that you have in the preexisting
C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor DVD install (recall edit “TracksDir=” in new config.ini).

(line removed by moderator)
- Conclusion:
I documented this for my own use because I think I tried every combination of installs form several sources, and as a last resort and some desperation figuring, I tried this and this was the only one that worked perfect and had no issues.
If someone else is having the frustration I had, maybe this might work for them.

Last Edited By: Rantam Jan 7 14 3:09 PM. Edited 2 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 7 14 4:24 PM

Rantam, if I follow the instructions mentioned in the forum, I got "Error decompressing data! Corrupted installer?". I am thinking that there is a problem with Nullsoft installer.

Before I downgrade my OS to Win7, I wonder if anyone else was able to install v1.96 succesfully in Win 8.

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#3 [url]

Jan 8 14 11:14 AM

Do you get any error while the installer is being checked after its just launched?

Some people on Internet having similar problems with this kind of installers recommend to empy browser cache and/or OS temp folder.

Try disabling UAC and installing the mod in a folder out of Program files (in order to do so you must have a rF installation in that folder).

We've asked at our Facebook fan page to see if anyone else is having issues with this mod and Windows 8

Regards

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Jan 8 14 6:58 PM

Rantam,

I suspect that there is an issue with the part1 installer. Could you please compare if the md5sum is exactly the same from mine that I downloaded via Torrent?C:\Users\Okamoto\Downloads>md5sums.exe HistoricGT_v196_Part1.exe MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/Type md5sums.exe -h for help [Path] / filename                              MD5 sum-------------------------------------------------------------------------------[C:\Users\Okamoto\Downloads\]HistoricGT_v196_Part1.exe                 100% e050f9e51afd468c1c34f0e970ba5992 C:\Users\Okamoto\Downloads>C:\Users\Okamoto\Downloads>md5sums.exe HistoricGT_v196_Part1.exe

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes - http://www.pc-tools.net/
Type md5sums.exe -h for help

[Path] / filename                              MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[C:\Users\Okamoto\Downloads\]
HistoricGT_v196_Part1.exe                 100% e050f9e51afd468c1c34f0e970ba5992

C:\Users\Okamoto\Downloads>

Will you provide another way to download this mod?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#6 [url]

Jan 29 14 10:33 AM

First of all: sorry somehow I overlooked this post...

Will do that checksum when i get home.. but anyway here's an alternative mirror: http://www.drivingitalia.net/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=6102

Regards

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help