Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 1 13 5:38 PM

Tags : :

Simbin have decided that too many people are stealing their content, so they've written an open letter explaining a change of stance:

http://www.racedepartment.com/2013/07/cross-conversions-open-letter-to-the-community-from-simbin/

Here's the beginning of the letter:
As you may have read else where, we have requested certain mod teams to hold off and stop work on their projects. This is not something we decided in the spur of the moment, we have been doing this on occasion in the past. 

We do feel the need to do this more actively since it has become clear that condoning cross game/platform conversions with a CD-Check has proven to be easily circumvented and therefor rendered useless as a solution.

What does this mean for the Historic GT mod? They say 'certain' mod teams. Is this disc check robust enough, or do Simbin feel it is also too easily circumvented?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 4 13 3:38 PM

I was wondering the same thing. In rFactor1 I had SO MANY awesome races with the HistorX mod and yes, I did buy GTL to play this mod! I was dead-set against it but in the end, I did pay to play and I was happy to do it. It seems though that this open letter means either this mod has to go underground, or flick Simbin the bird and do it anyway in public, unless you guys come up with all new models and start from scratch. This is going to be tough, I hope Simbin grandfathers you guys in and lets you continue on course like you have been.

Keep it up guys, I wait with bated breath for this mod- above all others.

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#2 [url]

Nov 19 13 11:06 AM

Hi,

it was already decided before Simbin released that announcement, but you have to know that no Simbin (or any other developer) content is going to be used in any future project released by HistorX. We understand their reasons and respect their decision (as we've always done).

When we started Historic GT & Touring Cars project back in 2007 (if my memory doesn't fail) we decided to include GT Legends material because:

a) It was meant as an homage to that terrific sim and these amazing classic racing cars.
b) We wanted to improve and expand it (if that was possible) as much as we could, with more content and tweaks.
c) We were learning and to learn there's nothing better than messing with the best thing around, which back at that time was Simbin's (at least when it comes to models and textures).

But the new cars we created for HGT&TC prove that we've learnt enough already to do a more than acceptable job by ourselves, so it's no longer necessary to use those Simbin models :)

Please note that there's still a version of Historic GT & Touring Cars which will be released for rF1 (v1.96) very soon, but it doesn't contain new cars, just updated textures, physics and some fixes for some bugs. As it doesn't represent a change of platform (game) and it's basically an improved 1.95 this will still contain the CD/DVD check. But it also features a GT Legends Steam validator, basically because there're still A LOT of people contacting us because they've purchased the game just to install this mod.

Kindest regards

Last Edited By: Rantam Nov 19 13 11:54 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

Rantam

#3 [url]

Nov 19 13 11:43 AM

On a personal note I have to say (and this doesn't express the opinion of HistorX as a team, just mine):

We don't have exact figures but I can assure anyone that A LOT of people has purchased GT Legends to play this mod. These units wouldn't have been sold if this mod wouldn't have been released. And frankly I feel very proud of us for doing such a good marketing campaign for GT Legends :) Frankly I haven't heard/read of anyone regretting buying GT Legends to play this mod, and that probably means we did a proper homage to this sim.

And yes, that has happened even when the DVD/CD check can be overridden. But let's no forget that there's no infallible copy protection system around (including GT Legends' Starforce). If you expected that a group of amateurs could do better than real companies with real money think again. Frankly It felt like trying to reach the Moon without any help. But we did our best and without any support to do it, and it didn't turn out that bad, did it?

I think that Simbin's decision is not the best to keep a game like this alive. Let's no forget it's quite old now, despite I consider it among the best ever developed and it's still more than nice and fun enough to be played. If we had received some help from Simbin (or whoever owns the rights of GT Legends now) to implement an improved DVD/Steam check for this they may get more units sold, and these nice models would still be around a good amount of years.

But it's up to them, so be it :)

Regards

Ps. This doesn't mean these cars will never appear in a project made by HistorX. But as they would have to be created from scratch it's quite possible that you won't ever see them together again in any project made by us. That would be an enormous work to do. It took us five years to develop Historic GT & TC, so even with the experience we have now I can't imagine how many time would take us to create again all these GTL cars from scratch without any help.

Last Edited By: Rantam Nov 19 13 11:58 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Nov 19 13 1:26 PM

As I've seen from Jay's replay at VirtualR, that statement doesn't cover older mods which they had given green light. That includes HistorX as well. So, in theory, no worries for using the models.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 24 13 11:18 PM

I think that Simbin's decision is not the best to keep a game like this alive. Let's no forget it's quite old now, despite I consider it among the best ever developed and it's still more than nice and fun enough to be played. If we had received some help from Simbin (or whoever owns the rights of GT Legends now) to implement an improved DVD/Steam check for this they may get more units sold, and these nice models would still be around a good amount of years.

But it's up to them, so be it :)

Regards

Developers are not interested in keeping their old games alive.  Sales are low and the income from each sale is a tiny fraction of that from a new game.

They are interested in selling their current game, R3E - which is primarily about selling content - cars and tracks.  If R3E or older Simbin content is available for rival titles such as rF2 or AC it will not help sales of R3E.  Simbin have also banned conversion of newer content to older Simbin titles for the same reason - if R3E content was available for RACE 07 or GTR2 it would affect sales of R3E.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

Rantam

#12 [url]

Jan 29 15 10:30 AM

Yep. Time does pass fast, isn't it? :)

Nothing to show yet, I'm afraid. The newest generations of sims seem to be here finally (with rF2 way more polished and AC available), but I'm afraid you'll have to keep waiting. You know how these things are.. :D

Kindest regards

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help